Monday, April 6, 2015

Happy Easter and new area!

So transfers came. And I'm in KENTRON!! or Center (translated). I'm serving with a really awesome sister. We already teach really well together and get a long really well. I really have been blessed my entire mission with great companions. The city is really scary and really big. I'm just a little village girl...but I'm slowly learning the ways of the city. The weather here is also tons warmer and a lot sunnier. So that is definitely a plus. We have a really cute apartment with an AWESOME view of Mt. Ararat. We have 8 progressing investigators and really supportive members. I have a lot to look forward to with this transfer.
Kentron has at least 500 members and about 30 of them are active. I think President (well the Lord aveli chisht) knew what he was doing when he called me here because I LOVE reactivating and loving the members. I feel like it is one of my strengths. I don't remember if I ever told you about the relationship that the missionaries had with the members when I first got to Charentsavan. But it was terrible. When my companion at the time and I would try and visit them (we were whitewashing) they would actually close the door in our faces and tell us not to come back. We had almost no one coming to church and they hated the missionaries. I really really should not flatter myself, so I won't (I give full credit to the Lord), but by the time I left Char all the members would fight over having us over and when they found out i was leaving they were all really sad. The members in Char are now some of the best we have in the Stake. Reactivation and Retention are just as important as baptizing.
My new sister and I have 8 progressing investigators. They're all awesome. I'm so excited to keep working with them.
The missionaries here are all really excited to watch conference this weekend. It's something we all really look forward to. I've heard a lot about it.

Well, I hope you all know that I know why we celebrate this holiday called Easter (my favorite holiday next to the fourth of July). I know that the Lord suffered for me and for you. I know that He loves me and He loves you. I know that because He gave everything for me the least I can do is give up 18 months of my life to help the people of Armenia come to that same knowledge. I know that because Christ overcame Physical death one day we will as well. I'm humbled as I think of the words of one my favorite hymns (my mom's favorite hymn as well) I stand all amazed. I invite you all to go read the lyrics and ponder them. What does the Atonement mean to you? Does just a cross come to mind? Does it have any real meaning to you? Try and apply it more personally in your life. I promise that as you do, you'll feel happier. It sounds lame but it's a promise. You will feel more love for the people around you and it will motivate you to be a better disciple of Christ.
I love you,
Sister Kuyks
Trying to smile with a brutal canker sore

Mt. Ararat from our balcony. Blessed. Picture does no justice

No comments:

Post a Comment